About Us

Welcome to Makindye Ssabagabo Municipal Council website. We are one of the four municipalities of Wakiso District. We ask you to freely interact with us via this site and we share all necessary information with you.


As stipulated in the Local Government Act Cap 243 (as amended), Makindye Ssabagabo Municipal Council "shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal, and may sue or be sued in its corporate name". The Municipal Council shall perform the following functions and offer services as conditioned in the second schedule of the Local Government Act Cap 243 (Part III, as amended);

  1. Establish, acquire, erect, maintain, promote, assist or control with the participation of the citizens—

(a) Lighting of streets and public places;

(b) Fire brigade services;

(c) Ambulance services;

(d) Clinics, dispensaries, health and inoculation centres;

(e) Cemeteries, crematoria and mortuaries and ancillary services, and provide for the burial of bodies of destitute persons and of unclaimed bodies;

(f) Omnibus stations and related office accommodations, cafes, restaurants, refreshment rooms and other buildings;

(g) Offices, stores, workshops, depots and other buildings for the purposes of the council;

(h) Public halls, libraries, art galleries and museums;

(i) Slaughterhouses, cold storage facilities and premises for the inspection or processing of milk, meat or hides and skins;

(j) Markets and piers, jetties and landing places;

(k) Botanical and zoological gardens;

(l) Public baths and swimming pools;

(m) Laundries and other places for the washing of clothes;

(n) Canteens, social centres, clubs and hospitals, including such facilities for employees and staff;

(o) Public lavatories and urinals;

(p) Pounds for stray animals and clinics for the treatment of sick animals;

(q) Camping and grazing grounds;

(r) Lairages;

(s) Dipping tanks;

(t) Disinfecting stations;

(u) Public weighing machines;

(v) Public monuments;

(w) Sanitary services for the removal and disposal of night soil, rubbish, carcasses of dead animals and all kinds of refuse and effluent;

(x) Water supplies outside the jurisdiction of the National Water and Sewerage Corporation;

(y) Education services which cover primary and secondary schools, special education, trade and technical schools;

(z) Maintenance of roads.

  1. Establish, maintain or control public parks, garden and recreation grounds on any land vested in the council and in connection with or for the purposes of that Public Park, garden or recreation ground to—

(a) Establish, erect, maintain and control aquariums, aviaries, piers, pavilions, cafes, restaurants, refreshment rooms and other buildings or erections that the council may deem necessary;

(b) Reserve any portion of the public park, garden or recreation ground for any particular game or recreation or for any other specific purposes, exclude the public from those portions and provide for their renting and hiring to the public, clubs or other organisations; and

(c) Provide or permit any other person to provide any apparatus, equipment or other amenity.

  1. Prohibit, restrict, regulate or license—

(a) The sale or hawking of wares or the erection of stalls on any street, or the use of any part of the street or public place for the purpose of carrying on any trade, business or profession;

(b) The depositing on any street, public place or unoccupied land of any refuse, rubbish, derelict vehicles or any other material or thing, and to provide for the removal and disposal thereof;

(c) Street decorations and the erection of shelters, temporary buildings, platforms, seats and other structures at any entertainment, procession, exhibition, ceremony or display, whether in a public place or not;

(d) The placing of banners, wires, ropes or any other impediments over or across any street or public place;

(e) The collection of money or goods in any public place for any charitable or other purpose;

(f) The public exhibition of any monstrosity, freak of nature or abnormal person or animal;

(g) Singing, dancing, drumming, the playing of musical instruments, the production of music or the making of any noise likely to disturb any person, or any performance for profit in any public place;

(h) The storage or stacking of firewood or other fuel;

(i) The washing or drying of clothes other than on private premises;

(j) The quarrying of stone, lime, clay, murram or other material;

(k) The keeping of dogs, animals and poultry, and provide for the seizure and destruction of ownerless, unlicensed, diseased or dangerous dogs, and the seizure and disposal of stray animals and poultry;

(l) Billiard saloons, dance halls and other places of public resort;

(m) Lodging houses;

(n) The burning of rubbish and grassland;

(o) Prostitution and brothels;

(p) Cinema and video halls.

  1. Lay out and adorn any street, square or open space vested in the council by the erection of statues, fountains or other structures or in any other manner.
  2. Decorate streets and public buildings, erect shelters, temporary buildings, platforms, seats and other structures on public places.
  3. Clear, level and maintain public and unoccupied land taken on lease from a land board and to plant, trim, protect and remove flowers, trees and shrubs in or from any public place.
  4. Identify streets and other public places by assigning names to them and to cause those names to be exhibited on posts or pillars or to be painted or otherwise exhibited on any building or other erection fronting.
  5. Number or otherwise identify any buildings fronting on any street or other public place, and cause that identification to be exhibited on the buildings or require the owner of the building, at his or her own expense, to cause that identification to be exhibited on a building.
  6. Require the owner or occupier of any premises to remove or lower any fence or to remove, lower or trim any tree, hedge or shrub overhanging any street or interfering with the passage of traffic or pedestrians, or any wires or other works or to require any owner or occupier to perform the removal, lowering or trimming which may be necessary for the maintenance of public safety or amenity or build and maintain the pavement bordering his or her property to the specifications of the urban council.
  7. Require the fencing or enclosing of plots and restrict the use of barbed wire, broken glass or any similar substance on fences and walls.
  8. Preserve public decency, and to prevent offences against public order in streets and public places, and to prevent damage to or defacement of property of the public or of the council.
  9. Prevent and extinguish fires, to remove buildings in order to prevent the spread of any fire and to compensate the owner of any building removed.
  10. Establish, maintain, hire, support or control bands and orchestras and generally to provide for musical entertainment at public places and functions.
  11. Undertake private works and services and to charge and recover costs on those private works and services and contract out public services to the private sector.
  12. At the request of the owner of the land situate within its area of jurisdiction, construct, in such manner as the council may think fit, by its servants or by contract, a footway or pavement along any street contagious with the land or vehicular crossings over any footway or pavement and to recover the whole or any part of the cost of the construction, including the cost of supervision, plant, machinery and tools from such owner in the manner it may think fit.
  13. Sell all by-products resulting from the carrying on, by or on behalf of the council, of any works or services.
  14. Promote publicity for the council.
  15. Promote schemes of housing, health education and road safety sensitisation.
  16. Make provision for the return of destitute persons to their homes.
  17. Arrange for the insurance of all assets of the council against financial risks of any kind to which the council may be subjected.
  18. Lay out land and provide and maintain necessary public services.
  19. Subject to the Constitution, sell or lease any plots of land or any buildings on the land.
  20. Aid and support, whether by the grant of money or otherwise, the establishment and maintenance of schools, hospitals, libraries, art galleries, museums, musical or scientific institutions, homes for the aged, destitute or persons with disabilities, or for the orphans; provide bursaries to assist in the education of the children of persons residing in the area of jurisdiction; make donations to charitable and philanthropic, welfare and youth organisations; and make presentations to other local authorities or public bodies.
  21. Provide—

(a) Gowns, chains and badges of office for councillors and officers of the council;

(b) Badges, medallions or scrolls for presentation to persons who have given meritorious service to the urban councils; and

(c) Floral tributes in memory of councillors, officers of the council and persons of note.

  1. Obtain and protect armorial bearings.
  2. Regulate, control, manage, administer, promote or license any of the things or services which the council is required or empowered to do and establish, maintain, carry on, control, manage or administer, and prescribe the forms in connection therewith; and to fix fees or charges to be made in respect thereof.
  3. With the consent of a neighbouring local government, render advice and or assist to control development and to administer town and country planning schemes in any area within an agreed distance from the boundaries of its jurisdiction.
  4. Provide, control and manage the following services—

(a) Sporting and recreational facilities and programmes of informal education for both adults and young people, including the provision and running of community centres;

(b) The development of social work among adults;

(c) Remedial social welfare programmes aimed at the alleviation of social distress;

(d) The welfare of children;

(e) Public vehicle parking.

  1. Initiate and contract twinning arrangements with international local governments or local authorities in consultation with the Minister.
  2. Any other function or service incidental to the above.

31. Any other function not reserved for the Government.